Monday 8 February 2010

Yellowhammers

Just back from a weekend in Edinburgh for the rugby (don't mention the result!) and great to get back out around Nairn with my binoculars. I was greeted by the 32 Brent geese again on the beach just before the golf course. I was surprised that it was exactly 32 - are they the same 32 as last week I wonder?! There were five Tufted Ducks next to a small group of Scaup, on what was quite a rough sea near the shore.

I drove around the narrow roads Nairn side of Ardesier and spotted a tree full of Yellowhammers next to one of the Fort George Army ranges. 91 Yellowhammers in total - all in one tree, with a couple of Chaffinches and a few Goldfinches among them. Now, 91 might not be a large flock, but I've never seen so many Yellowhammers in one place, all happily enjoying the sunshine.

More sightings tomorrow I hope.

Seamus

No comments:

Post a Comment