Monday 21 February 2011

A walk alongside the beach

We had a lovely walk out passed the Nairn Golf Club on Sunday in the mild, late winter sunshine. Plenty of birds on show on the high-tide, headlined by the pair of Red Breasted Merganser feeding and looking like they have already paired up ready for the breeding season. And a male and female Goldeneye were not that far away.

Also on show were a large number of Oyster Catchers, the usual group of Eider and hundreds of gulls (mainly Black-Headed).

The Rook below showed me how much more tolerant they are to humans than their cousins,t he Carrion Crow. The one photographed below stood on the rock and exercised its wing and legs as I sat pointing my camera at it!

I think these are fantastic birds!  The next time you pass one in the field or on the street, I urge you to take some time and observe their behaviour: they are facinating to watch.
We walked back along the sea wall toward the swimming pool and really enjoyed the sight and sound of the waves lapping against the wall and dragging the pebbles back out to sea. There was a real feeling of spring in the air as people walked passed with smiles on their faces; and a number of visitors to the area too, which gives hope that the tourist season may be a good one.

2 comments:

  1. Seamus! You never told me you had a blog. This is lovely stuff. We were out for a walk down the river the other day and saw an unfamiliar bird. It must have been the goosander, although it could have been a merganser. (Does Nairn get them?)

    I've put a link to your blog on mine. www.green-dad.blogspot.com.

    Happy birding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Green Dad - I was wrong! There was a pair of birds feeding on the river near the footbridge: Red Breasted Mergansers! So they are here in the winter too. I am so used to watching the Goosander on the river that I didn't expect to see anything different!

    So, what do I know about birds! I do say at the top fo the blog that I am far from an expert, and this proves it!

    See you soon. Keep your eye out for some pictures to follow.

    ReplyDelete