Tuesday 27 December 2011

Winter visitors

How long has it been since I posted?!  So much has happened in the four months that have passed.  One of the most notable features has been the geese and the delay for the Pinkfoot to head south.  As always, some stay around here for the winter, but the length of time the thousands of migrating Pinkfoot stayed around Nairn was really unusual. I can only imagine it was down to the milder weather we had in November.

Talking of Geese: I am still to see the Brent Geese this year on their annual visitor to us.  I know of one person to have seen them back in October; that was down at the harbour.  They are usually to be seen on the rocky parts of the beach near the pool and golf course, but not yet; for me anyway.  So, if anyone sees them, please let me know!

Don't forget to keep your eyes open for the Waxwing and Brambling that will be about Nairn this time of year.  The Brambling will invariably be amongst flocks of finches, and could easily be ignored as inexperienced eyes might consider them to be a Chaffinch.  This is not the greatest photo, but it'll do!
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a pic of a Waxwing yet, but I am always on the look-out!  They are similar size to a large finch and will be clearly distinguishable by their beautiful colouring and wonderful crest, and they will usually be seen in large flocks at the top of trees.

The Waxwing eat the same red and yellow berries as the Redwing and Fieldfare.  These thrushes migrate to us for winter, and are far more abundant than the Waxwing or Brambling. 

As ever, keep looking out into the firth for plenty of wintering sea birds and wildfowl.  More on them later - if I remember to post!

Seamus

No comments:

Post a Comment