Tuesday 30 December 2014

The Knots are still performing!

I know you're all probably getting board of my pics, but just in case! Here are a few from today out on the East Beach wall in Nairn.
I always said I was lucky to be at the right place at the right time for a decent photo - well, after spending there hours waiting for these little buggers to fly, I think I should now claim to be at the right place....after loads of patient waiting!

These Knots are here most of the winter and perform great displays for those of us who happen to be in the right place at the right time!

Santa had given a new pair of binoculars to a lady that I met on the wall.  I am hopeless with names, but I think hers was Linda or Lynn (sorry if I've got it wrong).  We were both enjoying the sight of these Knots pushing for position on the sandbar as I was eulogising about the wonderful displays they give when they fly - and then, they up and flew all around us, performing wonderful twists and turns , and flying overhead with a lively whispering, whoosh of their wings.  Fantastic!

I urge you all to get down to the beach (or harbour walls) as the tide is turning, just in case they perform again.

Happy and healthy 2015 to you all.

Seamus (and Kate)










2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! And exactly how many are there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI - I've counted (roughly!) around 2,000. I know that these flocks can be very large so I wouldn't be surprised if there were more.

      Delete